Currently trending is the daytime pajama look. Done correctly the trend is sophisticated, sexy and even office appropriate. Not to mention it is extremely comfortable! On a recent trip to H&M, like any good bargain hunter I found myself browsing the sale rack. And lo and behold I found a robe top that I loved and was also obsessed with the price (originally $50, paid $7.69). Now the trick to buying trends at fast fashion stores like H&M is to ensure the garment has a few things. Here are a few tips on buying trends at fast fashion stores that will ensure a long life in your closet. * This post has Shopstyle affiliate links within it. Upon you clicking or buying from my link I receive a percentage of the final sale.
- Cut: The cut should be classic, if its a very bold print. You also want to make sure its not too short or long on you. Buying a trend that doesn’t go with your proportions will make you look odd.
- Color/Print: The color should be neutral if the cut is what is making it trendy. A classic color like black will make the trend more wearable throughout seasons and years.
- Fabric: The fabric should not be too thin, the thinner the fabric the faster it takes on abrasion from wearing and washing. Making the fabric pron to deterring and breaking down. You can also look at the fabric content and wash care instructions on the tag to help you decide.
- Trims: Buttons, linings, pockets and zippers should be working perfectly. All these items are considered trimming in the fashion industry, and you should pay attention to how they look and work on any garment. Why buy a garment when the zipper doesn’t close properly?
So with those tips in mind, don’t be afraid of fast fashion, because they CAN have a long life in your closet. Another reason to continue your use of fast fashion are programs like H&M Conscious were you can bring in any garments you don’t want and receive %15 off your next purchase. Through the program old garments get resold, reused or recycled through various programs and industries that collaborate with H&M. Fashion is still a big component to the pollution problem. Although with the help of programs, designers and by being self-educated on how to buy and take care of fast fashion items this problem can be remedied.
Here are 5 ways to wear the robe top trend:
- Black on Black: For this look I went with a simple black dress, but added a pop of color with Aldo pumps. I would also do an all black look and wear black pumps or sandals.
2.Casual Party/ Event or Office Day: I paired the robe jacket with this black and white Victoria Beckham x Target collection dress to keep the look in the same color family. Flats make the look perfect for a casual event. I’d wear this to the office as well, just add heels if you want to pump up the look. For this look I tied the belt with a bow in the back for sleeker look.
3.Office Appropriate: Keeping the robe closed and pairing it with a knee length skirt makes the trend office appropriate. The robe acts as a blazer but in a more relaxed form for this look. Add a blouse and pumps to pull the outfit together.
4. Casual for Everyday Wear: In this look I picked my favorite Target jeans and a camisole that has a lingerie feel because of the black lace. The lingerie/lounge wear is accented in both the blouse and robe top, but the belt adds a waist and creates structure in the look.
5.Classic With a Pop of Color: An office jogger like the one I have on adds structure yet keeps the outfit relaxed. A classic t-shirt or cami underneath in a neutral like black, white or tan makes the pop of color and the robe stand out. For this look I also tied the belt in the back with a bow.
Shop the look:
If you want to test out the complete sleepwear look for daytime make sure the top and bottom are a matching set. Pair it with pumps and clean accessories to pull off the look. Which one of my looks do you like the most? Have you tried this trend yet? Would you dare?- T.S.